symonkariuki symonkariuki

When we experience God’s favor, we sometimes don’t know how to respond. In the last article I wrote titled “It’s time for God to favor you”, I expounded on what you can do to experience God’s favor. In this article, we will explore what you should do when you experience God’s favor. Knowing what to do after receiving God’s favor can determine the continuity of that favor upon your life or not.

In Genesis 6:8, we are told “But Noah found grace in the eyes of the LORD”. The next thing we are told is that he made an ark for God. This is where we miss it, when we experience God’s favor, we don’t make an ark for Him. An ark in this instance was the place where animals and people found refuge during the forty days of floods that devastated the land. In today’s world, God is calling those that have experienced God’s favor to provide an ark. This is a place of refuge and safety from the floods of life. This ark that God is calling us to build might not necessarily be physical. It could take any form shape and size depending on the sphere of life God has placed you in. For those in Government, building an ark could mean instituting policies and laws that safeguard the interests of the under dogs for future generations. For those in ministry, it could mean taking care of widows, orphans, strangers, the poor and oppressed. For those in the corporate world, it could be social investment & responsibility programs e.g. education etc. It doesn’t matter what station of life you are, you can build an ark.

Something else that Noah did was enter into covenant with God. “But with thee will I establish my covenant;” Genesis 6:18. God’s favor sometimes demands that we enter into a covenant with Him. The Lord God of Heaven, the God of the Bible is a covenant-making God. A covenant might involve a vow like Jacob’s; “And he lighted upon a certain place, and tarried there all night, because the sun was set; and he took of the stones of that place, and put them for his pillows, and lay down in that place to sleep. And he dreamed, and behold a ladder set up on the earth, and the top of it reached to heaven: and behold the angels of God ascending and descending on it. And, behold, the LORD stood above it, and said, I am the LORD God of Abraham thy father, and the God of Isaac: the land whereon thou liest, to thee will I give it, and to thy seed; And thy seed shall be as the dust of the earth, and thou shalt spread abroad to the west, and to the east, and to the north, and to the south: and in thee and in thy seed shall all the families of the earth be blessed. And, behold, I am with thee, and will keep thee in all places whither thou goest, and will bring thee again into this land; for I will not leave thee, until I have done that which I have spoken to thee of. And Jacob awaked out of his sleep, and he said, Surely the LORD is in this place; and I knew it not. And he was afraid, and said, How dreadful is this place! this is none other but the house of God, and this is the gate of heaven. And Jacob rose up early in the morning, and took the stone that he had put for his pillows, and set it up for a pillar, and poured oil upon the top of it. And he called the name of that place Bethel: but the name of that city was called Luz at the first. And Jacob vowed a vow, saying, If God will be with me, and will keep me in this way that I go, and will give me bread to eat, and raiment to put on, So that I come again to my father's house in peace; then shall the LORD be my God: And this stone, which I have set for a pillar, shall be God's house: and of all that thou shalt give me I will surely give the tenth unto thee.” Gen 28:11-22.

Sometimes God’s favor demands we enter into covenant with God. This might involve making a vow before God .We should however not make vows we are not ready to fulfill. “When thou vowest a vow unto God, defer not to pay it; for he hath no pleasure in fools: pay that which thou hast vowed. Better is it that thou shouldest not vow, than that thou shouldest vow and not pay. Ecc 5:4-5. Jacob raised an altar for the Lord when he anointed the pillar which he had made into his pillow. Sometimes God’s favor demands that we raise an altar for Him. Jacob’s vowed that would give a tenth unto God if he prospered his way. Giving a tithe is a way of responding to God’s favor. I know countless people who made vows when they were in desperate situations but now have excuses that cause them to abscond.

The third thing we need to do when we obtain God’s favor is follow God’s instructions to the letter. Obedience is critical. “Thus did Noah; according to all that God commanded him, so did he.” Gen 6:22. God’s favor can bring different dynamics into our lives that can cause “spiritual amnesia”. This spiritual amnesia makes us forget where we have come from and what we were instructed to do. There was a crisis of shortage of wine in the wedding of Cana in John 2:1-11. Mary the mother of Jesus saw the crisis and asked the servants to do whatever Jesus asked them to do. The hosts were rewarded for their obedience when Jesus Christ, the Miracle Worker, turned water into wine. When we obtain favor with God, we need to be careful to follow His instructions to the letter. God’s favor demands that we do according to all that God commands us to do.

The Bible warns us not to respond negatively to favor like Cain did. Cain murdered his brother Abel because Abel received God’s favor and Cain did not. “And Abel, he also brought of the firstlings of his flock and of the fat thereof. And the LORD had respect unto Abel and to his offering: But unto Cain and to his offering he had not respect. And Cain was very wroth, and his countenance fell. And the LORD said unto Cain, Why art thou wroth? and why is thy countenance fallen? If thou doest well, shalt thou not be accepted? and if thou doest not well, sin lieth at the door. And unto thee shall be his desire, and thou shalt rule over him. And Cain talked with Abel his brother: and it came to pass, when they were in the field, that Cain rose up against Abel his brother, and slew him.” Gen 4:4-8. A lot of evil transpires because people are consumed with envy and jealousy as a result of others who obtain favor instead of them. We should not be ignorant of the spirit of jealousy and envy that is still at work today even amongst family members. There are people who don’t know how to rejoice with others when they get blessed. This can be indication that the spirit of jealousy and envy is still lying resident in you. Learning to celebrate others and their victory is a hallmark of greatness. Cain could not bear the fact that his younger brother received approval from God and not him. He murdered him. This is a negative way of responding to favor. I am reminded of King Saul; “And the women answered one another as they played, and said, Saul hath slain his thousands, and David his ten thousands. And Saul was very wroth, and the saying displeased him; and he said, They have ascribed unto David ten thousands, and to me they have ascribed but thousands: and what can he have more but the kingdom? And Saul eyed David from that day and forward.” 1 Sam 18:7-9. Favor demands we celebrate others without jealousy, envy and malice. Ask God to help you in this regard.

From the time when the women started to sing about the exploits of David; Saul pursued David to kill him many times. David had many opportunities to revenge but he did not. “So David and Abishai came to the people by night: and, behold, Saul lay sleeping within the trench, and his spear stuck in the ground at his bolster: but Abner and the people lay round about him. Then said Abishai to David, God hath delivered thine enemy into thine hand this day: now therefore let me smite him, I pray thee, with the spear even to the earth at once, and I will not smite him the second time. And David said to Abishai, Destroy him not: for who can stretch forth his hand against the LORD'S anointed, and be guiltless? David said furthermore, As the LORD liveth, the LORD shall smite him; or his day shall come to die; or he shall descend into battle, and perish. The LORD forbid that I should stretch forth mine hand against the LORD'S anointed: but, I pray thee, take thou now the spear that is at his bolster, and the cruse of water, and let us go. So David took the spear and the cruse of water from Saul's bolster; and they gat them away, and no man saw it, nor knew it, neither awaked: for they were all asleep; because a deep sleep from the LORD was fallen upon them. 1 Sam 26:7-12. Allowing God to avenge for you is a mature way of responding to God’s favor.

The story of Joseph illustrates that there is always a reason why God bestows favor to particular people. “But as for you, ye thought evil against me; but God meant it unto good, to bring to pass, as it is this day, to save much people alive.” Gen 50:20 . We need to find out why God has favored us. For what reason! Joseph forgave his brothers because he knew the reason why God had favored him. Understanding the reason for God’s favor in your life will help you to respond appropriately. Joseph provided for a whole nation in a crucial time. Is God raising you so that you can supply resources to the Kingdom of God? Is He raising you to take care of your immediate or extended family? Is He raising you to supply resources to the nations?

God’s favor demands we bring reforms. “Josiah was eight years old when he began to reign, and he reigned in Jerusalem one and thirty years. And he did that which was right in the sight of the LORD, and walked in the ways of David his father, and declined neither to the right hand, nor to the left. For in the eighth year of his reign, while he was yet young, he began to seek after the God of David his father: and in the twelfth year he began to purge Judah and Jerusalem from the high places, and the groves, and the carved images, and the molten images. And they brake down the altars of Baalim in his presence; and the images, that were on high above them, he cut down; and the groves, and the carved images, and the molten images, he brake in pieces, and made dust of them, and strowed it upon the graves of them that had sacrificed unto them. And he burnt the bones of the priests upon their altars, and cleansed Judah and Jerusalem.” 2 Chr 34:1-5. Sometimes God will raise a Godly leader in a particular position to clean up the scum, and the evil that predecessors have left. We need the Josiah kind of our leaders in Africa. We are tired of corrupt, selfish “sangoma or waganga” seeking leaders. This leaders will attract God’s wrath and not favor.

God’s favor should lead us to a life of humility. Jesus Christ is our ultimate example. “Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus: Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God: But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men: And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross. Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name: That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth; And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father. Phil 2:5-11

I decree that you will know how to respond to God’s favor in Jesus name. I pray that you will not be ignorant of the purpose why God has favored you. I speak humility into your life in the midst of favor in Jesus name. I declare that you will build an ark for God, that you will follow instructions to the letter and that you will not respond negatively when others are favored. May the Lord help you in Jesus name, amen.

In His Mandate

Apostle Symon Kariuki

Kingdom Age Network of Apostles and Prophets (KANAP)

Symon Kariuki
Kingdom Age Network of Apostles and Prophets
PO Box 13754