BIBLICAL WAY OF DEALING WITH TRANSITION

symonkariuki symonkariuki

BIBLICAL WAY OF DEALING WITH TRANSITION

Human life is full of transition. There are different transitions in life. Transition involves movement, shift, change, relocation amongst other things. The transition might be moving from one country to another, changing jobs, getting married, promotion, starting new business, going to the mission field, God’s call, going to a new school, pregnancy, terminal illness, retirement, divorce or anything that brings change from the normal routine.

Transition can be positive or negative. Positive transition usually involves promotion, greener pastures, marriage and any positive changes. Negative transition involves death, retirement, divorce and other negative changes.

Transition whether negative or positive sometimes brings feelings of anxiety, fear, apprehension, un-certainty, indecision, tension amongst other feelings. These feelings can be very deep depending on how long one has been in the old status quo. Sometimes it depends on how rich the relationships were or how established, settled, rooted, happy one was in their former state.

Failing to make transition when it is time for transition can be disastrous and can cause untold frustrations. God is a God of seasons and we need to be like the sons of Issachar who understood seasons and knew what to do.  1 Chronicles 12:32.

Transition always brings new roles and responsibilities. Sometimes this transition involves building from scratch, starting a new life, forming a new routine, establishing new relationships, looking for schools, adjusting to a new way of living depending on what kind of transition it is.

The thought of starting all over again can be daunting and fearsome hence the hesitation, procrastination and stagnation.  Many quote “better the devil you know than the angel in the bush”.

The Lord God almighty is omniscient (all knowing) and omnipotent (all powerful).  The future is like today to Him. What causes the feelings of anxiety, uncertainty and the like is our inability to see the future like God. We have limitations in our knowledge for the future. “Declaring the end from the beginning, and from ancient times the things that are not yet done, saying, My counsel shall stand, and I will do all my pleasure:” Isa 46:10 “Jesus therefore, knowing all things that should come upon him, went forth, and said unto them, Whom seek ye?” John 18:4. These scriptures confirm God’s all knowing ability.

The bible is full of individuals, leaders and nations going through transition. There are invaluable lessons we can learn from the scriptures. Let’s look at a few examples.

One of the hardest transitions one can make is moving from one’s country, family and father’s
house to a foreign land. This is what Abraham did. “Now the LORD had said unto Abram, Get
thee out of thy country, and from thy kindred, and from thy father's house, unto a land that I
will shew thee:” Gen 12:1.  When the transition is God initiated like Abraham’s; God usually
sends reassurance and promises as He did for Abraham; “And I will make of thee a great
nation, and I will bless thee, and make thy name great; and thou shalt be a blessing: And I will
bless them that bless thee, and curse him that curseth thee: and in thee shall all families of the
earth be blessed.” Gen 12:2-3. This reassurance and promise is usually very comforting and is
medicine to the soul in dealing with the feelings of uncertainty and fear that creep in with the
transition. God promise was that He would bless Abraham wherever he was going. My prayer for
you is that God will bless you wherever you are going and in your new assignment! I encourage
those in transition to seek God’s mind on the matter in order to tap into His wisdom, comfort
and counsel in the matter of transition. Sometimes going back home can also be difficult
especially if one has been away for a long period of time.

Abraham did not resist transition but fully corporated with God in the matter and He left us a
rich legacy of faith, obedience and sacrifice that we should all emulate.

One mistake we should learn from Abraham in regard to transition was that he took Lot with
Him. “So Abram departed, as the LORD had spoken unto him; and Lot went with him:” Gen
12:4.  Taking Lot with Him was not part of God’s design for Abraham. Lot became such a
liability to Abraham because He was not part of God’s design for transition.  During a time of
transition, one needs to evaluate and seek God in regard to the people and things they should
move with to the next season of life.  Transition is a time of letting go of some baggage, things, people
and reaching out to embrace the future.  I pray that God will grant you wisdom to know what to let go
and what to hold on to, in Jesus name. Amen.

The transition of the children of Israel from Egypt to the Promised Land has invaluable lessons for any nation or person that needs to go through metamorphosis. Positive transition in any nation depends on the caliber of leadership God has raised in that nation. For God to deliver the children of Israel He prepared Moses in the wilderness for forty years and He then sent him to deliver the nation of Israel from bondage. “And the LORD spake unto Moses, Go unto Pharaoh, and say unto him, Thus saith the LORD, Let my people go, that they may serve me.” Exo 8:1. Only transformed leaders can bring the desired transition in a nation. I wonder how much longer it will take for God to release leaders like Moses to liberate Kenya, South Africa and the nations of Africa from all manner of shackles? Is God calling you to bring this kind of transition? Are you adequately prepared like Moses?

The children of Israel had to go from Egypt, through the wilderness and then to the Promised Land. The wilderness is the in-between place before fully settling into your promised land. This place is sometimes very uncomfortable. For the children of Israel, the wilderness rekindled a desire to go back to Egypt; “And the children of Israel said unto them, Would to God we had died by the hand of the LORD in the land of Egypt, when we sat by the flesh pots, and when we did eat bread to the full; for ye have brought us forth into this wilderness, to kill this whole assembly with hunger.” Exo 16:3.  In your transition, remember that the in-between place is not the destination. May the Lord give you wisdom not to grumble and murmur in the in-between place hence delaying arrival to the Promised land quicker.  Don’t look back with nostalgia, project ahead.

Ruth on the other hand lost her husband through sickness and was left lonely without a child after a
decade of marriage. The death of a spouse can be one of the most traumatizing transitions one has to go
through. Ruth was a Moabite married to a Hebrew. This was a mixed marriage. The God of the Hebrews
was different from the Moabite god. Ruth’s marriage was therefore a blended, cross cultural marriage.
This kind of marriage is usually quite a transition. Ruth’s husband left her in the prime of her
womanhood without a child but she was not destitute. She had come to know the God of the Hebrew
people and she was ready to entrust the rest of her life in His hands; “And Ruth said, entreat me not to
leave thee, or to return from following after thee: for whither thou goest, I will go; and where thou
lodgest, I will lodge: thy people shall be my people, and thy God my God: Where thou diest, will I die,
and there will I be buried: the LORD do so to me, and more also, if ought but death part thee and me.
When she saw that she was stedfastly minded to go with her, then she left speaking unto her.”  Ruth
1:16-18. There is hope for those going through traumatic transitions like Ruth. God blessed her super
abundantly because she clung to Him during the time of transition. May the Lord help you to cling onto
Him during whatever transition you are going through!

In Joshua chapter one, a young leader is about to take leadership from an old experienced leader.
Joshua is feeling inadequate, incapable and ill-equipped. Moving up in the ladder in one’s career can
also be a challenging transition. Because this assignment was God ordained, the Lord reassured Joshua
with the following words;”There shall not any man be able to stand before thee all the days of thy life:
as I was with Moses, so I will be with thee: I will not fail thee, nor forsake thee. Be strong and of a good
courage: for unto this people shalt thou divide for an inheritance the land, which I sware unto their
fathers to give them. Only be thou strong and very courageous, that thou mayest observe to do
according to all the law, which Moses my servant commanded thee: turn not from it to the right hand or
to the left, that thou mayest prosper whithersoever thou goest.”  Jos 1:5-7. I pray that God will fortify
you in your new assignment in Jesus name. Thank Him for His help and guidance in this next season of
life.

I can go on and on giving examples of people that went through transition in the Bible but I will stop
here. I want to leave you with a few thoughts and scriptures that will help you during this time of
transition;

1. Be open and flexible to God’s plans, purposes and surprises in your new season.
“For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.” Isa 55:9

2. Surround yourself with Godly counsel in your new destination.
“Without counsel purposes are disappointed: but in the multitude of counsellors they
are established.” Pro 15:22

3. Be slow to speak, quick to listen and extremely alert in your new assignment.
“Wherefore, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to
wrath:” Jam 1:19

4. Look for a Christ-centered, Bible-believing, Spirit-filled and lively Church. Deepen your relationship with God by being committed there. It is a safe haven.
“Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching. For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins, But a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries.” Heb 10:25-27

5. Learn from your past mistakes and start a new leaf of life in your new destination.
“Remember ye not the former things, neither consider the things of old. Behold, I will do
a new thing; now it shall spring forth; shall ye not know it? I will even make a way in the wilderness, and rivers in the desert.”  Isa 43:18-19

“For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end.” Jer 29:11

6. Do not entertain feelings of fear and uncertainty. Confess God’s Word over your life.
“Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen
thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my
righteousness.” Isa 41:10

7. Write down what you want to achieve in your new destination and ask your Pastor
to pray with you about these projections.
“ Commit thy way unto the LORD; trust also in him; and he shall bring it to pass. “ Psa 37:5
“And the LORD answered me, and said, Write the vision, and make it plain upon tables,
that he may run that readeth it. For the vision is yet for an appointed time, but at the
end it shall speak, and not lie: though it tarry, wait for it; because it will surely come, it
will not tarry.  Hab 2:2-3

I pray that this will be helpful as you go through the transition. I pray that your transition will be smooth, blessed and fulfilling. Please do not hesitate to contact me for further clarity, prayer or challenges you are facing with your transition.

In His Mandate,
Apostle Symon Kariuki
Kingdom Age Network of Apostles and Prophets
+27729774462
+27123478668
kanapinstitute@gmail.com
www.kanap.org

Symon Kariuki
Kingdom Age Network of Apostles and Prophets
PO Box 13754
Hatfield
E-mail: kanapinstitute@gmail.com
Landline:+27729774462