A MAN OF GOD

symonkariuki symonkariuki

A MAN OF GOD

Recently, I have had to deal with very complex issues pertaining to Men of God and this has led me to seek God, ask very hard questions, interrogating myself too, as a Man of God. This has led to me writing this article.

God has always used man to execute His purpose on earth.  The man God uses to execute His purpose is called a "Man of God."  God is continuously looking for a man to use. "And I sought for a man among them that should make up the hedge, and stand in the gap before me for the land, that I should not destroy it: but I found none".  Ezek 22:30. "Also I heard the voice of the Lord, saying, Whom shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, Here am I; send me. "And he said, Go, and tell

this people, Hear ye indeed, but understand not; and see ye indeed, but perceive not." Isa 6:8-9.

When God identifies the man He wants to use, He then calls him. How this man responds to this call is very important! God does not force matters; He must find a willing partner. The call of God might involve either; hearing God's voice like Isaiah in the passage above, a dramatic divine visitation like the one of Apostle Paul (Acts 9:3-12), being anointed by a Man of God like in David's case (1 Sam16:13), throwing of the mantle like in the case of Elisha (2 Kings 2:14), an extra-ordinary desire to follow Christ, a strong burden to do God's work, a prophetic dream or vision, prophetic word released to you, great conviction after reading the Scriptures, a loud command to follow Christ or an ordination before birth (Jer 1:5).

How one respond's to God's call varies from one individual to the other. This largely depends on their level of spiritual maturity, ability to hear God, levels of obedience amongst other factors. If God gives you a loud command to follow Him; you then must leave what you are doing and heed His call. "And He saith unto them, follow me, and I will make you fishers of men." Mat 4:19. This is the method God used to call the early Church Apostles. He issued a direct loud command to them and they followed Him. Although Jesus is not here physically like He was then; He is still issuing direct loud commands to some people through the Person of the Holy Spirit. If you

are the one God is calling, drop everything and follow Him. One early morning morning in 1996, I heard this loud call and since then I am serving God on a full time basis.

Not everybody heeds the call of God. "Then Jesus beholding him loved him, and said unto him, One thing thou lackest: go thy way, sell whatsoever thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, take up the cross, and follow me.  And he was sad at that saying, and went away grieved: for he had great possessions."  Mark 10:21-22. This young Lawyer did not respond to the call of God because of his great possessions. He missed the opportunity of a life time to become a Man of God.  Fear of the unknown, disobedience, lack of clarity, complacency, procrastination, spiritual yokes and bondages have hindered many from heeding God's call.

I believe that there are many who are called "Men of God" whilst in fact they are not. God never called them, or sent them, or even anointed them. They called or appointed themselves. Some ended up in ministry because they failed in everything else. We need to have our spiritual eyes enlightened to distinguish those who are truly called and those who are masquerading as Men of God or those who are simply opportunistic. They are wolves in sheep's skin.

Many Christians have been ship wrecked, disillusioned, hurt, disappointed, discouraged, set back, destroyed, because of such people. "For they prophesy falsely unto you in My name: I have not sent them, saith the LORD." Jer 29:9.

We also need to be careful of immoral "Men of God", proud "Men of God", unapproachable "Men of God", racist "Men of God", hurting "Men of God", manipulative "Men of God", erroneous "Men of God", insecure "Men of God", deceptive "Men of God", corrupt "Men of God, unfaithful "Men of God", unaccountable "Men of God" and the list can go on and on! Some of these "Men of

God" are in ministry for money, fame, power and all the wrong reasons. Watch out!

Going to Bible College, Theological Seminary and the like does not make you a Man of God. It must first start with God's calling upon your life. God must qualify you first before any institution qualifies you. We have many who are serving in Christian service and they were not called of God. Not everybody I went to Bible College with was called of God and hence a Man of God.

The word "Man of God" appears seventy three times in the King James Version Bible. We will look at some of the passages so that we understand the dynamics of a Man of God. My prayer is that God will enlighten you, equip you and connect you to the right Man of God. Your destiny might depend on this connection. So read on.

If this article creates doubts about your Man of God; then you need to pray, fast, investigate, seek counsel, and take the appropriate steps based on your findings.

In Deuteronomy 33, the Bible calls Moses a Man of God. The life of Moses is a good study of thejourney of a Man of God. In this passage, Moses the Man of God is blessing the Nation of Israel. This is one of the characteristics of a true Man of God. They are carriers of divine blessing. When you meet a true Man of God there is a stirring in your spirit, you feel lighter, blessed and your future looks brighter. Moses in this passage decrees some special blessings to the sons of Jacob. I like what he

says about Joseph; "And of Joseph he said, Blessed of the LORD be his land, for the precious things of heaven, for the dew, and for the deep that coucheth beneath, And for the precious fruits brought forth by the sun, and for the precious things put forth by the moon, And for the chief things of the ancient mountains, and for the precious things of the lasting hills, And for the precious things of the earth and

fullness thereof, and for the good will of him that dwelt in the bush: let the blessing come upon the head of Joseph, and upon the top of the head of him that was separated from his brethren. His glory is like the firstling of his bullock, and his horns are like the horns of unicorns: with them he shall push the people together to the ends of the earth: and they are the ten thousands of Ephraim, and they are the

thousands of Manasseh." Deut 33:13-17.

Has any Man of God ever decreed a blessing upon your life?What did they say? Did you write the blessing down? What impact did it have in your life? I sense that God will raise Men of God in our nations who can decree blessings and life in our nations. I decree a blessing like the one decreed above upon your life in Jesus name, I speak precious things of heaven upon your life and much more in Jesus name. Amen. A true Man of God's main objective is not to be blessed but to bless! He is called to bless! Does your Man of God bless you? If not, run like the "Jabulani" ball from him.

Another characteristic of a true Man of God is the Presence of God. "And he said unto Him, If thy Presence go not with me, carry us not up hence. For wherein shall it be known here that I and thy people have found grace in thy sight? is it not in that thou goest with us? so shall we be separated, I and thy people, from all the people that are upon the face of the earth. And the LORD said unto Moses, I will do this thing also that thou hast spoken: for thou hast found grace in my sight, and I know thee by name." Exo 33:15-17.  What distinguishes a Man of God from an ordinary man is the Presence of God. The moment the presence of God departs from the Man of God, he is no longer a Man of God. You can easily become an ex-Man of God when the Presence of God departs. During the time of Eli (1 Sam 4:18-22) the ark was taken from Israel symbolizing the departure of the Presence of God (Ichabod). This is because Eli's sons prostituted at the temple and practiced corruption! Eli and his sons were struck by God. May the Presence of God never depart from your life or the Man of God you submit to in Jesus name. Amen. We need to pray that our Men of God continue to seek the Presence of God at all times because failure to do so

can bring disaster in their lives and our lives.

A true Man of God ought to be honorable. "And He said unto him, Behold now, there is in this city a man of God, and he is an honorable man"; 1 Sam 9:6. This passage is referring to Samuel the Man of God. Samuel was a man of moral integrity, a virtuous man, had great public distinction, and was greatly trusted. "And Samuel grew, and the LORD was with him, and did let none of his words fall to the ground".  1 Sam 3:19. The Man of God you submit to should be honorable. "Having therefore these promises, dearly beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear." 2 Cor 7:1.

If the Man of God is willingly committing adultery or engaging in dishonorable things; you should not submit to his ministry however glorious or famous it is. It's time to move. We have a lot of Men of God, sleeping around with their members and involved in dubious activities. These are no longer Men of God but men of the world, of the flesh or men of the Eros god. May the Lord deliver you from tainting your name by associating with dubious "Men of God". Pray for your Man of God, that he will be honorable and that he will stay in the straight and narrow path by God's grace.

We need to establish whether the man of God has an accountability base? Does He have a spiritual father? Is he submissive? Who can he listen to? Does he relate to others or he believes he has the monopoly to the truth? Who can we report him to if he is in error, sleeping with girls in the Church, or stealing Church coffers?

In the same passage, 1 Sam 9:6, we see that whatever Samuel spoke came to pass. A true Man of God is called to speak on behalf of God. He is God's spokesman. He should speak God's Word that will not return to Him void (Isa 55:11), He should prophesy what God is saying and not what people want to hear (2 Tim 4:3-5). A Man of God who speaks the Word of God and prophesies from the mouth of God will be vindicated by the testimonies that follow the confirmation of the word spoken. Some of the Churches today have become entertainment clubs and the so-called Men of God are speaking what the people want to hear and not what God is saying. The masses like this because they are hearing what their itching ears want to hear.  Seek God whether the Word of the Lord is being preached without fear or favor by your Man of God.

The Man of God must speak against the demonic altars in your geographic location. This might cause a spiritual stir, retaliation from the pit of hell but God will send help from above. In 1 Kings 13:4-8 we see the Man of God speaking against the altar in Bethel. The King was so wroth with the Man of God that he wanted him arrested. God's judgment was fast and furious as He froze and dried up the hand that was pointing at the Man of God.

We need to consistently pray and fast for our man of God!

A true Man of God must not be bought with money, rewards or positions. (1 Tim 3:3, 2Kings 5:16-17) The gifts of God and the miracles of God cannot be bought with money (Acts 8:18-20). A Man of God should not charge people for spiritual gifts or healing. A Man of God should not be blinded and silenced by rewards from the wicked. A Man of God should not appoint people in spiritual positions because of their wealth or rewards. The anointing should not be merchandised!

This is not to say that there is anything wrong with blessing your Man of God. In fact the scriptures encourage us to take care of the material needs of our Man of God as he takes care of our spiritual needs (1 Cor 9:7-11, 1 Sam 9:7-8).  Material things should however not be used to manipulate the Man of God. The giving must be pure. The Man of God has a mandate to receive, first fruits, tithes and offerings (Neh 10:36-37, Malachi 3:6-12, 2 Kings 8:8) The Man of God should find out whether the man or woman dishing out money is following the precepts of God in regard to finances. This should be the litmus test for the motive of their giving. Men of God need to learn to say no. Some women have used their money and sexuality to compromise Men of God. Watch out, Man of God!

A Man of God should pursue and operate under the gifts of the Holy Spirit (1 Cor 12:4-11). Through the gift of word of knowledge (2 Kings 6:11-12), Elisha could see what was happening in bedchamber of the King of Syria and warn the King of Israel. I pray that your Man of God will be endued with the gifts of the Spirit to the point where the enemy's plans will be foiled in Jesus name. I speak the supernatural ability to operate in Jesus name. Amen. May the spiritual gifts be also imparted in your life in Jesus name. Spiritual gifts take an ordinary man to the supernatural heights. That is what makes a Man of God, a Man of God! The Scriptures are full of supernatural things Men of God did (1 Kings 17:20-24, 2 Kings 1:12, 2 Kings 4:3-12, 2 Kings 5:14, 2 Kings 6:6, Acts 3:6, Acts 8:6-8).

We should however not have unrealistic expectations of our Man of God. He is not a demi-god. The Man of God does not live in Heaven and is not exempt from human passions."Elias was a man subject to like passions as we are, and he prayed earnestly that it might not rain: and it rained not on the earth by the space of three years and six months."  James 5:17. Sometimes the Man of God will go through feelings of anger like Moses, have fear like Elijah and face disappointment like Jonah. The Man of God will also have desires like any other person. For example, He would like his children to go to a good school etc.

The wife and children of the Man of God might not necessarily have the calling of God upon their lives as the Man of God.  The Man of God might go through challenges balancing family life and ministry. By virtue that he is a Man of God does not make him an expert in marriage and parenting. Those around the Man of God need to give him space as well as create a condusive environment for him to live a balanced life.

A Man of God must have clear channels of receiving communication from God. The seer must be able to see visions and interpret them effectively (2 Sam 24:11-15), the dreamer must be able to fully comprehend the dreams (Gen 40:5-16) and the prophet must be able to download the oracles of God from the throne of God (Heb 1:1). A Man of God needs to consistently ensure that his internal spiritual transmitter is catching the signals of Heaven.

A true Man of God has the mandate to teach the word of God, statutes, precepts, laws and commandments (Deut 4:4, Ezra 7:10, Matt 28:19). When our Men of God are not well taught in the Scriptures, they mislead many (Matt 18:16, 2 Tim 2:15). There is a man operating in miracles who owns a television network and has a huge following, his doctrine is warped and erroneous . Because of the miracles, his followers are drinking his erroneous doctrine like medicine. I have been horrified by what he teaches.  The Man of God must be balanced and not teach in error. May the Lord deliver you from such people in Jesus name.

The Man of God must value praise and worship that is directed to God (Neh 12:36). He must be a worshipper himself though he might not be gifted in singing.  The Man of God must direct worship to God and not to himself. "He must increase, but I must decrease. " John 3:30. This should be the motto of the Man of God however much God exalts him. Watch out if your Man of God enjoys been worshipped. You might be in for trouble. This might lead to a personality cult or his down fall.

The Man of God must be committed to studying the Scriptures (Joshua 1:8). He should read the Bible from cover to cover several times before reading what others say about the Bible. He should read the Bible on his knees prayerfully. "For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart." Heb 4:12.

When I was a young believer, I struggled understanding God's Word until I discovered the secret of reading the Bible prayerfully. That is when God started opening my spiritual eyes to beyond the mystery of His Word. Glory to God. I want to thank God for opening the realms of revelation.

Living a life of prayer and fasting is crucial for the Man of God. Doing a forty day fast is fundamental before beginning ministry. I have written a whole article on 40 days of fasting. God uses the 40 day fast to prepare the Man of God for ministry as well as launch him into the spiritual realm. Jesus, Moses and Elijah did a forty day fast (Mathew 17:2-5, Exo 24:18, 1 Kings 19:8, Luke 4:2).  Many young people want to jump from the pew to the pulpit without adequate preparation in prayer and fasting! This can determine how far your ministry goes (or does not go).

God in the Old Testament judged the Nation of Israel based on how they treated the Levites. Levites were the tribe that was chosen to do the work of the Tabernacle. They were the Men of God of the day. Today we have Apostles, Prophets, Evangelist, Pastors and Teachers. The well being of a community depends on the quality of the Men of God in that society and how that community treats them.

I will leave you with Apostle Paul's charge to Timothy and to the upcoming man of God! "But thou, O Man of God, flee these things; and follow after righteousness, Godliness, faith, love, patience, meekness. Fight the good fight of faith, lay hold on eternal life, whereunto thou art also called, and hast professed a good profession before many witnesses.  I give thee charge in the sight of God, who quickeneth all things, and before Christ Jesus, who before Pontius Pilate witnessed a good Confession;  That thou keep this commandment without spot, unrebukeable,

until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ:  Which in his times he shall shew, who is the blessed and only Potentate, the King of kings, and Lord of lords;  Who only hath immortality, dwelling in the light which no man can approach unto; whom no man hath seen, nor can see: to whom be honour and power everlasting. Amen. Charge them that are rich in this world, that they be not highminded, nor trust in uncertain riches, but in the living God, who giveth us richly all things to enjoy; That they do good, that they be rich in good works, ready to distribute, willing to communicate; Laying up in store for themselves a good foundation against the time to come, that they may lay hold on eternal life. O Timothy, keep that which is committed to thy

trust, avoiding profane and vain babblings, and oppositions of science falsely so called:  1 Tim

6:11-20

Have you ever done a forty day fast? Has your Man of God ever done a forty day fast? Describe your Man of God. Is your Man of God called? If you are in a ministry led by an immoral Man of God, can that impact you in any way? Do you know whether your Man of God is faithful financially? Are you associated with this particular Man of God because of showbiz or genuine spiritual input? What are the marks of a true Man of God? What are the benefits of submitting to a true Man of God? What kind of "Men of God" should we watch against and why? Has God stopped using the Man of God in our dispensation today? Is it important to honor your Man of God and how? How are Men of God manipulated? How was Elijah a man with like passions like us? Are you happy with your Man of God? Do you have any other questions or comments?

Please let me know whether this was helpful.

Let me pray for you. "Father God, You are God Eternal and the Most Holy. Be exalted today and forever more. I bless Your name for who You are. Lord I pray that You will strengthen all the Men of God You have called. I pray that You will expose the wolves in sheep's skin in Jesus name. I pray that You will lead the person reading this article to the right Man of God. I pray that this Man of God will function to the optimum in Jesus name. Amen."

In His Mandate,

Apostle Symon Kariuki

Kingdom Age Network of Apostles and Prophets

kanapinstitute@gmail.com

www.kanap.org

Symon Kariuki
Kingdom Age Network of Apostles and Prophets
PO Box 13754
Hatfield
E-mail: kanapinstitute@gmail.com
Landline:+27729774462